Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Stuff I don't plan on giving up: Part 1

Seems like every time someone has a baby, there's always a huge laundry list of things that everyone believes you'll have to give up. "Oh, guess you won't be doing [this] or [that] anymore," or "I suppose you'll be selling your [whatever] soon."


I'm really curious about how much of this is pre-baby terror, and how much is realistic. I mean, I'm an intelligent and flexible guy, I've got friends and enough money to hire a babysitter now and then. I'm really wondering what- if anything- of my current possessions and activities I'll have to give up. So in the next few weeks I'll be covering the things I don't expect to have to give up... and you guys will get to see how that works out for me.

Let's start with the first item: video games. This, I think, may actually be one of the more challenging ones. Gaming is inherently a two-handed activity... and I've learned from experience that babies generally take at least one hand. But I've never been one to be deterred from a challenge. As it is, there doesn't seem to be enough time for me to even come even close to keeping up with the incredible new titles that are coming out for the 360 and the Wii. So how will the bundle of joy effect this? Will my already sparse game time dwindle into nothingness? Here's what I'm thinking:

1. There's two of us. Now, I know better than to think I can pawn Princess Squirmkins off on the missus all night while I blast through waves of the Covenant, okay? But I do believe there is certainly plenty of daily give-and-take to be had... and I know the missus has stuff she's going to want to do sans infant, too. So in the process of trading favors, I should be able to sneak in some game time.


2. Thank god for the Wii. Looks like there's at least a few good titles that will end up being one-handed. Boom Blox, for example, looks pretty promising. And I'm reasonably sure I can WiiBowl with a kid on the other arm. Might affect my score a smidge, but the rest of the crew is probably happy for me to have a handicap. Heh.


3. There's always LAN parties. My buddy Eric throws a big LAN party about once a quarter that's half geekfest and half drunken, rowdy college-style party. The missus has already said I'm still completely clear to continue hitting the LAN parties.... thanks probably in no small part to my boys Chris and Thom paving the way- after all, they've got babies, and they haven't missed one yet. I owe ya, fellas.


All told, I'm reasonably sure having a baby will mean somewhat less gaming- but I certainly don't plan on giving it up. (Mark those words. I may have to eat them later!)

3 comments:

Susan said...

Hey dude: I'll tell you from experience that WiiBowling is much harder to do holding a child than you'd think. WiiGolf, on the other hand, you shouldn't have any trouble with. ;)
--AJane

Anonymous said...

*marks AXJ's words with a blue marker*

Enjoy playing with a baby ^_^

--Cat

Anonymous said...

These seem like very decent demands..er,uh, I mean requirements! :) Norfolk and Tom have certainly set a very decent precendent for ya!

e